Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Twitteratue :: October 2013


Anne at Modern Mrs. Darcy hosts a monthly link-up for sharing casual, tweet-sized book reviews.

It seems I haven't got through much, which is odd, because I feel like I've been reading quite often.  I struggle with checking out too many books at once--anybody out there relate?

Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation
by Michael Pollan

Not my favorite by Pollan: some parts really sang, others got bogged down in so much evolutionary speculation that I just got bored.  Though I was very much inspired to jump back into bread baking; I'm starting a sourdough starter today!

Hannah Coulter
by Wendell Berry

I finally got around to a Wendell Berry novel--and it did not disappoint!  An elderly widow looks back over her life as a farmer's wife.  Absolutely lovely prose.  Made me ache for country living worse than I already do.
The School Revolution: A New Answer for Our Broken Education System
by Ron Paul

I love this man.  His education approach is heavier on internet use than I think our homeschool will be, but his focus on basics, self-teaching, and leadership line right up with my thinking.  This is definitely a book I plan to purchase and have on hand for reference--and a reminder of why homeschooling is worth the hassle.



So, only three books finished this month; it's still three books I hadn't read otherwise.  Want a peek at what I've got going now?



So, what have you been reading lately? {and catch more mini-reviews over at Modern Mrs. Darcy}

3 comments:

  1. I have been hoping to read the new Michael Pollen although I have heard others say that it was not his best... too bad. I need some more healthy eating inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wendell Berry so much! I'm a Kentucky girl and he's pretty much required reading here. It's nice to see him pop up in a twitterature post. I think I need to go back and re-read some of his stuff. I especially love some of his short stories. I'm also a huge fan of Jim Trelease and his philosophies. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a good description of Cooked, love Hannah Coulter (and Wendell Berry!), never heard of that Ron Paul book but curious.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...