Tuesday, March 27, 2012

#3: Diligence is sloth's opposite, and it brings good.



Diligence makes good
We've looked in depth at sloth's consequences (yucky things like hunger and poverty and forced labor).  We'll be quicker about the consequences for the diligent:

  • make rich, get precious wealth, be richly supplied (10:4, 12:27, 13:4).
  • have plenty of bread (12:11, 20:13, 28:19).
  • rule (12:24).
  • will lead to abundance (21:5).
These are wonderful things that anyone would want.  But what is diligence?  Uh oh...I feel a dictionary definition coming on...

from dictionary.com

I take comfort in the fact that "perfect" appears nowhere in that definition.  Neither are the phrases "have it all" or "Super Mom"...but we'll get to those next week.

Diligence is putting my full effort into what God has set before me.  Daily, hourly, constantly.  Not every day will be marked with accomplishments and check marks next to my to-do list, but every day can be marked by effort.

New Testament diligence
Even though this study has been on Proverbs, I wondered what Jesus and the New Testament writers had to say about the topic, and found a few notes in 2 Peter (emphasis mine):

Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. 2 Peter 1:10

Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. 2 Peter 3:14

So in our call to be diligent, we also find what we are supposed to be diligent about: pursuing God and knowing Him better, plus fighting our inherent sin nature.

Fighting sin nature and learning God's ways (through prayer, Bible study, etc.) are not the things I am naturally inclined to do.  But diligence has its rewards, just as sloth has its consequences.

Hopefully this week I will remember those things as I go about my days.  And hopefully you can, too, Lord willing!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, God is so amazing. Right now in my book I'm writing the portion on diligence, and you just wrote this! Thank you for your help and faithfulness here... Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To say that I've been enjoying your series on sloth wouldn't be exactly accurate, but I have been convicted by it. I too would rather peruse blogs or read. I find that I even use playing with my kids as an "excuse" for not working on or even adding to my to-do list. I am striving to find a better balance in my day-to-day life with renewed determination. Thank you for your timely choice of subject and your judgement-free manner of presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha...I haven't been enjoying it either! Not a bit! Today I'm writing the final post in the series, and I wish that I could just run the other way. But...it is so needed in my life right now.

      I'm glad to know that someone else is finding use in it, too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...