Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving Wrap-up

What?  It's not November anymore?  I'm no good at blogging every day?  Shocker...anyway, I was still thankful, and here's what I've got to share:

20. Fancy Schmancy Swimsuit.  My old swimsuit went with me on my family’s last vacation together before I started college…making it eight years old.  I felt guilty spending this much on a swimming suit, but the quality is great, it’s American-made, and I love Jessica Rey’s thoughts on modesty.  The icing on the cake?  My editing earnings paid for it, so our bank account never even felt the pinch!

21. Supportive husband.  Now…that fancy swimsuit that lives up to my ideals?  Still a swimsuit.  Still tear-inducing, still terrifying to put on.  Lucky for me, I’ve got a wonderful guy who won’t let me wallow in the fat words too long.

22. Tough love husband.  I also have a husband who will eventually get fed up with the whining and tell me to love the body I’ve got or do something about it.  That may sound super harsh, but it’s what I needed to hear: my body is strong, healthy, and average in size and shape.  If I’m so concerned about those last five pounds, I’d better put my money where my mouth is.  Or at least not put more sweets there.

23. Girls who need each other.  If Scrunch naps too long in the morning, Pookie starts shouting so she’ll wake up.  If Scrunch wakes up first from afternoon nap and gets bored with me, she crawls over to their door and scratches and babbles until Pookie wakes up.  Sometimes that means longer days and crabbier girls, but the way they love each other is so worth it.

24. Family time.  Professor was home over Thanksgiving break, with not a single trip into lab.  It was glorious.

25. Thanksgiving company.  We joined Professor’s…professor.  Hmm.  Anyway, we joined him and his family plus a few other guests for Thanksgiving.  Pookie broke a water buffalo figurine, but she and Scrunch are such charmers that I think it was quickly forgotten.  A lovely evening with some very kind souls.

26. A new vacuum!  And then…I did it.  I got in line Thanksgiving night to get into Target.  I don’t feel good about shopping on a holiday, I hated the crowd, and I loathed snaking back and forth through the line just to get in the store, but I got a new, fancy vacuum on the cheap(er than normal) and already my family is breathing better.  Totally worth it but never again.

27. Toiletries on the cheap.  And while other people were pushing their way through the mall Black Friday morning, I was hitting up the Walgreens for free-after-rewards shampoo, toothbrushes, and other toiletries.  For just $20 I’m stocked for a year.  A-thankyou.

28. My church family.  There is a lot of love in this body of people.  It is beautiful and imperfect and inviting and ordained.

29. Nap time.  The girls napping and my own napping.  Without any editing jobs over the break, I took full advantage and napped like a…well, like a tired mom.  And it was wonderful.


30. My life.  It is small, but it is precious, and it is my God-given work and pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...