Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Keeping Christ in Your Creativity

I recently heard an author speak about how easy it is to go through her day on her own, that she can write this chapter, edit that one, get dinner made, prepare for that speaking engagement--without really relying on God.

Don't we all?  Then I go one step further: I think that I'm doing a great job and that God doesn't really need to rule over X, Y, or Z.

And then He pitches me upside down, shakes the crazy out, and waits patiently for me to rest in Him in order to right my world again.

You would think after walking with Christ for going on six years, I would have learned a thing or two, but that's the thing about sanctification; there's always more to be done.

So how do I keep Christ in my creative pursuits when part of me says "I can do it alone"?  I do a few things:

1.  I pray.  When I sit down to write, I have to remind myself to turn to God first, to share with Him what I plan to write about or do, to ask Him to direct me where He has planned, and for the wisdom and humility to put my own plans aside.

2.  I sing.  This is a very new habit.  I've developed this nasty other habit of using TV to "transition" from mommying time to writing time but realize now that it's not beneficial.  Today I chose hymns instead...definitely a better use of my time.

3.  I pray.  Yeah, I already said it, but it bears repeating.

4.  I hold my desires loosely.  The Bible does not say that ambitions, dreams, or goals are bad...but there are plenty of places where we are warned that desires contrary to God's will or work can lead to sin.  So I keep the things I hope for in my head and heart, sharing them with God, knowing that some might be part of His plan and others will not.

5.  I pray.  Are you seeing a pattern here?

6.  I read the Good News.  This reminds me that I can do nothing of lasting value apart from Christ and His work to save my soul.  So why would I then choose to toil at writing this or that when it will only turn to chaff in the end?  That is both humbling and inspiring.

So, how do you keep your work Christ-focused?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...