Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sloth: A Study in Proverbs

photo source

Hey there.  That picture above?  That's a sloth...I'll get to it in a minute.

So, I wrote about my writing schedule, the two hour block, the two novels a year.

And that's great.  And people liked it and were inspired and praised me for it.

And I'm productive; I'm a productive writer so far.  And I'm somewhat productive elsewhere: I keep a decently clean house, I love on my daughter, I have a great relationship with my husband, and I try to do right by the God who saved me from myself.

But most of the time I'm skating by, doing the bare minimum--loving on Pookie between blog reading sessions, frittering away evenings with my husband in front of the TV, putting off time in the Word for other things.

I see tiny gains sometimes, but mostly I'm coasting.

We read from Proverbs over oatmeal and fruit every morning, the chapter corresponding to the day of the month.  Somewhere in January, I noticed a mention of sloth, the catalyst for this whole examination.

Since then, I've been underlining every mention of sloth, laziness, etc. as we read.  I'm not through all of Proverbs yet, and I'm not sure what I'll find when I do, but I thought I'd mention it's been on my mind.

And maybe I needed to make it known to really know it myself: I'm a productive person, but I have a lazy heart.  And now that it's out there...maybe I'll finally be motivated to address it.

I'm almost through with the whole of Proverbs; when I am, I'll compile my list of verses and share it...and who knows where we'll go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...